Sunday, June 13, 2010

Marathon

I ran a half marathon in Provo with 4 of my children on Saturday June 12, 2010.  Clint signed up for the full marathon and then Tiffany said that sounded fun and signed up for the half marathon then Avry, me and Jason.   We had 12 weeks to train.  Tiffany found a training schedule for 12 weeks on the internet.  Then we were all off training, posting on face book of our progress.    I bought a garmin Forerunner 405 to help me pace myself.  When starting I thought I can walk a 15 mile if I can do this in 3 hours and 15 min that will be good. My granddaughters had a 5K Fund raiser for their elementary school.  On May 24 we all went and ran in it.   Of course Jason came in first of our family with a 7 min mile, then Clint, Tiffany, Avry and myself.   I started out with Avry and I kept telling her we were running to fast.  She just pulled away.   I wound up doing just barely over a 12 min mile.   Learned a lot not to follow the crowd and set my own pace.  A good practise run Two weeks before the race I did a 13.21 miles in 3 hours and 6 min.  A 14.07 pace.  Avry had set her goal to be under 3 hours and said mom you can do this.   I had been training in cold, windy and sometimes wet weather bundled up. Looking forward to not being bundled up so much and warmer weather.  We had to get up at 3 am to catch the bus to ride up to Provo Canyon.  It was in the 40's with a light drizzle.  After standing around for an hour we were off.  Avry and I were together to begin but I kept bumping elbows, so I sprinted a little to get ahead and kept waiting for Avry to pass me.  The second mile was up hill and that wasn't to bad the going down hill was a breeze and mile three was my best mile, a 11:26 mile.

Really grateful that the weather was cool. You kind of run with the same people going back and forth who is ahead. Around mile 9 I heard Avry call my name and she said she had to go to the bathroom. I kept on going my time getting a little slower and then mile 12 I felt my body really starting to slow down and then the over pass. You got to be kidding I have to go up that. Well I walked it. Coming down the over pass Jason came to encourage me on. I started bawling as I was exhausted, no sprinting into the finish line.

Well I did it in 2 hours 50 min. A 13 min. mile pace. Not bad for a 60 year old.

No comments: