Friday, December 5, 2008

Trying desperately to get into the spirit

Usually I am one who is so excited about Christmas. But this year I am struggling. I am not sure if its my age, no snow or maybe because no kids will be here. Oh let me rephrase that, 2/3 of my children will be here sometime on Christmas day. I have always made a big deal about Christmas Eve. So this will be the first year that we won't be doing anything. No basket, no last minute gift buying, no running treats to neighbors, no candy or cookie making, no hoagies, no movie. I knew that this tradition would come to end, but maybe I wasn't ready for it.

We did rent a cabin in Island Park for 3 nights from Thursday till Sunday morning. We will snowmobile, cross country ski, eat, play games and just enjoy each others company. I had to do something to keep them coming. I know they will all say move to Utah. I don't think so, I love Idaho.

So the debate was why decorate? I think maybe so my neighbors won't think I am scrouge. Oh yes we have Geoff still at home but he is leaving on the 9th till the 25th to visit Clint and besides he has other interests. Geoff did get the lights on the roof up before Thanksgiving. I did put a few things up outside, but haven't even pluged in the tree and snowman. The reindeers are not up and haven't decided if they are going to get put up. This is the first year the cheerleaders didn't come selling a fresh wreath.

Yesterday I thought I need to get in the spirit no matter what. So I put on Christmas music, lit Christmas candles to get the aroma and started wrapping gifts. Ok that got me to thinking how much harder it is to decide what to give. Money is sure easy but as my son in law Justin says thats no fun. I was thinking on how I have given everyone Christmas ornaments for years now, even the grandchildren. Do they really like what I choose and do they feel obligated to put it on their trees. Then I really got thinking about the grandchildren and their future spouses and maybe they want a theme tree or don't want to put those old ornaments on (if they even still have them). So I am going to throw it out to my kids and see if that tradition can be broken. I always buy them after Christmas for the next year at 75% off.

I am a sucker for those after Christmas sales on Christmas items. Save them all year and then forgot what I had bought. I have so much wrapping paper that I am good for at least 3 more years. I notice that I don't think about what paper I have and buy ribbon that doesn't even go with the paper that I have. Then there was paper I was using that was so cheap that it kept tearing. I then realized it was some of Grandma's that we found in her house. Sorry Jeralee, you might just have to rewrap. Growing up we would save the paper and ribbon and used it the next year if it didn't tear. So here I am skrimping and I think what for. So I threw out the cheap paper. This year I am not saving any ribbon. My kids can tell you how careful I am to save the ribbon.

So if this is the year for change I thought how can I do my trees different with what I have. Yes I put both of them up. The one downstairs I put in a different location. The one upstairs I put ivy, pinecones and red berries on it. Downstairs who knows what I am going to do.

We are getting rid of all of our old VCR tapes except the disney movies. Just in case we have a grandchild come and visit us. I know we still have a VCR to the big screen. We don't watch them and I have alot of CD's and their only taking up space. I hope no one will be offended if I get rid of something you gave me in the past. I just hope you all are not hanging on to things I gave you that you don't like. I can assure you if I haven't forgotten that I gave it to you I really don't care.

5 comments:

tiff snedaker said...

I don't think the Christmas eve tradition is completely broken. I'm sure we will be there at your house next year, since we are spending Christmas eve at Marshall's parents. Even if we are the only ones there :)
I will be sad if I don't get my reindeer ornament every year. They are very special and mean a lot to me, so even if everyone else doesn't want theirs, I do. Plus, I know a certain little baby that needs his first Christmas ornament and I was counting on Puppy to give it to him!
I'm super excited for Island Park and think it will be a lot of fun. And yes, do decorate, even if it is for you. Then, one night when it is snowing, snuggle up with a blanket, make some hot chocolate and just stare at your Christmas tree. That's worth it in and of itself. We are excited to see you in a few weeks!!

Avry said...

Hey! I think YOU AND DAD need to run the basket.. I haven't seen you two old folgies run it in years. :)

We will be up on Christmas night sometime so save your best holiday spirit for us! I agree with Tiffany just being able to sit in front of the tree & enjoy the twinkling lights is nice. Island park WILL be fun because that is where we will be hauling our presents to so be prepared to open more!

Avry said...

Oh by the way.. Keep the ornaments coming someday my children will have enough to decorate their own trees! If people don't like them well then they are just ungrateful!

Geoff Nielson said...

Yeah I agree with Tiffany, I dont think that that tradition needs to end. in fact it isn't! I didnt get to do that tradition for two years, heck we didnt do much of anything. And yes, I like the line "other interests" haha...its true.

Jason said...

One chapter ends and another one starts. The only constant is change. Embrace it. Make new traditions! :) (Except for the tradition where you ambush your eldest son with candy canes and Christmas decorations.)

Good entry, Mom.