Sunday, July 12, 2009

More upgrades at 4082 E. 200 N.

Living in the same place for over 35 years has seen alot of changes. I don't think there is one thing in this house that we haven't changed. First of all Scott has been wanting to take over my garden for years. I gave in a few years ago and let him build a shed in the back half. This summer he wanted the other half put in cement so he could park our pickup and Tahoe, so he wasn't playing musical vehicle every time he needed one or the other.




Because I like to garden, he knew he had to come up with a new garden spot. He made me a garden box for mothers day. He will make me another one next year. I am experimenting with it this year. I absolutely love it. It is easy to weed and will probably produce better. It gets more sun then where it was before. If only it won't hail anymore and strip the plants down.


Our next project was the outside of the house. We replace the last 5 original windows, sided, rock work, pulled the entry out 8 feet. Here is what it looked like before. We pulled out trees and shrubs in the process



The new look


Scott is still designing a railing between the posts and we still have to get a new door. Eventually we will probably put a paver path out to the circle drive. The big equipment tore up my yard and we had to level and repair sprinkler system and resod. Notice our bedroom window is bigger. He still has to do the inside trim work. The siding is steel. The problem with not doing everything at once is product changes. We had to paint the bay window as it was a different color and the fascia on the roof was tough to match. But it all came out pretty good.




East side of house. Notice no shrubs.



Back of house.

I guess we are going to be here for awhile longer. This last Thursday I was ready to sell it tho. Scott had gone to Bozeman to check on a project and rode his bike up there and stayed the night. I took the irrigation water at 6 pm and then headed to my Miss IF meeting at 7:00. I got home at 10 and noticed the water was clear up by the pine trees. I thought oh no the neighbors didn't take the water. So I dashed into the house got on my rubber shoes and my head lamp and went out back to check.

No he had taken the water. So I went along the property line and out by the utility pole the water was coming over alot from the neighbors ditch. I thought oh I can't have this doing this all night. (Afraid if I left it running it would get into the well and follow the line into the basement of the house, been there done that. Alot easier to fix the water leak then to clean up water in my basement.) Scott had put some sod we had taken out in the remodel in the borrow pit across the road in front of our house. So I got a shovel and a bucket and proceeded across the road to find it. As I started picking up a piece of sod a water snake slithered out from under it and I screamed. I managed to pull it together and get some sod and back to the gaps. Well its behind my rose bush that has gone wild, there are over grown trees and the barb wire fence. If it wasn't the rose bush, then it was the barb wire fence that got my leg. (Oh I had knee length shorts on.) I realized it was going to take a lot of sod to stop it. So back again across the road only to scream again because of another snake. I was cussing Scott by that time why wasn't he home to help me. The next trip I poked with the shovel and stood way back. After half an hour and 5 buckets of sod, I got it stopped up. Went in and called Scott at 11 pm to get some sympathy. He picked up his phone where I said I am ready to move.

I have done the irrigating for the past 35 years as it falls at a time when Scott is working. I use to have the neighbors on both side whose wives would NOT do it. I wound up sometime doing it for them. Scott knows I am keeper in that respect.

Next day better and yeah I will stay here a little longer.

6 comments:

Jeralee said...

O.K. you know how I feel about snakes. That little story sent chills up my spine. Ick. I was so, so happy I didn't see one when I was at your house. I don't like being startled either.

Confession time - I used to have little anxiety attacks in hich school when you would send me out to turn down the water. I was soo paranoid that I was going to find a snake out there.

The house has gone through MAJOR changes in the past 36 years. You should have posted a picture of it in 1973!

The parking lot next to the shed compound is also nice.

Mo said...

Two snakes in one day and I've never seen a snake in the wild before in my life. Kind of crazy, no?

I can't believe how much the house has changed! It looks great. I'm supposing you will still be there for christmas so at least I'll get to check it out. :)

Avry said...

Eww Eww Eww.. I agree with Jer & snakes HATE THEM! You are a brave woman to go back.. I would have marched up to the front door of whomever was suppose to take the water next & make them do it but then again that is my personality! The house looks good mom!

Jason said...

Sounds like an adventure to me. Late night irrigation fun. Life in the country. :)

The house improvements are nice. It has come a LONG way since 1973.

tiff snedaker said...

Yuck. I'm glad I didn't find the snakes. I think I've only seen one in my life. Remember the time we saw the mouse and both screamed and jumped on chairs? lol, I can only imagine what it would be like with snakes. I can't believe you've been irrigating for 35 years!

And the house looks amazing, it's amazing how different it looks!

Aurelia said...

The house looks very nice. I like the front and how it's not covered by the tree. I love the flower pots too, makes me think of Germany.

ewww.. snakes..
jumping on the chairs while seeing a mouse sounds familiar to me. I used to do that all the time growing up as we had mice pretty frequently. I still hate them..LOL..